Recipe by patriciamercer84
The cake was extremely moist because of the oil added to the batter, which allowed the light citrus flavor of the zest to shine through. The yogurt also adds some moistness and a slight tang.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (I used 2% Greek yogurt)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (or safflower oil)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon marmalade
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter an 81/2-x-41/2-inch loaf pan and place the pan on a baking sheet.
- Whisk together the flour, ground almonds, if you're using them, baking powder and salt.
- Put the sugar and zest in a medium bowl and, with your fingertips, rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla and whisking vigorously until the mixture is very well blended. Still whisking, add the dry ingredients, then switch to a large rubber spatula and fold in the oil. You'll have a thick, smooth batter with a slight sheen. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the cake begins to come away from the sides of the pan; it should be golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the center will come out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes, then run a blunt knife between the cake and the sides of the pan. Unmold, and cool to room temperature right side up on the rack.