Literally "coffee with milk", café au lait is a drink made of coffee and scalded milk. It is the staple coffee drink of French Louisiana and is often served in bowls (rather than in cups or mugs) in Acadiana. This enticing 'French Vanilla' version of the famous morning or dessert beverage is richly redolent with the wafting scent of real vanilla. Wonderful! Pairs beautifully with any traditional New Orleans or Acadian cuisine such as bread pudding or beignets, may I suggest my Chocolate Brioche Bread Pudding With Warm Vanilla Sauce. I hope you enjoy as much as we do! From Country Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the half-and-half, milk, and sugar in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- 2Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the milk mixture and add the bean to the saucepan.
- 3Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Or, you can heat the milk and vanilla bean over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes to infuse the flavors. Reheat just before serving.
- 4Remove the vanilla bean from the milk mixture and whisk for 1 minute, until frothy.
- 5Fill each mug with 1/2 cup of hot coffee and 1/2 cup milk mixture.
- 6Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Vanilla Cafe Au Lait
Serving Size: 1 (366 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.9
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.7 mg
- Sodium 80.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: