Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Serve with Bacon or sausage and pass warm maple syrup separately.
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus additional for garnish
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 2⁄3 cups corn flakes
- 8 slices of day old bread brioche bread or 8 slices challah
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- sliced strawberry (to garnish)
- orange section (to garnish)
- Put the eggs, egg whites, orange juice, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Wisk until well mixed.
- Spread 1/3 cup of cornflakes on the center of a piece of plastic wrap.
- Dip a slice of bread quickly into the egg mixture, coating both sides.
- Place bread onto the cornflakes.
- Use a fork and press the top of the bread lightly to embed the cornflakes into the underside.
- It should be solidly coated.
- Set the bread slice aside, cornflake side down.
- Working quickly, repeat the dipping process with the remaining slices of bread, using about 1/3 cup of cornflakes per slice.
- Divide the butter between 2 large nonstick griddles or skillets.
- Melt over medium heat until it is hot.
- Transfer the slices, cornflake side down on the griddles.
- Cook until both sides are browned, about 4 minutes each side.
- (Lacking sufficient cooking surface, you can dip the slices and coat them with cornflakes as batches are cooked, keeping thte cooked slices warm in a preheated 200 degree oven.) Serve hot, cornflake side up.
- Lightly sieve confectioners' sugar over the toast.
- Garnish the plate with strawberries and orange segments.