Recipe by Meryl
This is amazingly delicious! It tastes really rich, but is lowfat. Make sure you're very hungry - it's really filling!
Top Review by Susie in Texas
Meryl, this recipe is absolutely wonderful!! I have been trying to cook "lowfat" and "lowcarb" to improve our diet and this recipe worked great. I used sugar free whole wheat bread which we just discovered. We left off the powdered sugar topping and used sugar free syrup. These two things helped us lower the carbs a little more. The rich tasting banana filling is "to die for"!! My only regret was not having any fresh strawberries to top it, but next time I will. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!
- 4 ripe bananas, each cut into 4 pieces
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk (I use lowfat)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (I use more)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- powdered sugar
- 12 large strawberries, sliced
- pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil or spray with nonstick spray, two large nonstick skillets.
- Top 4 slices of bread with 4 pieces of banana each. Carefully mash the banana onto the bread.
- Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- In a glass pie pan, whisk the milk, eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon together.
- Dip each "sandwich," one at a time, into the egg mixture and let it sit 45 seconds. Turn over and let it sit another 45 seconds.
- Heat skillets over medium heat.
- Add French toast to skillets in batches, and cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn over until golden on the other side, about 2 more minutes.
- Place French toast on a baking sheet and bake 8 minutes.
- Place on serving plates and sift powdered sugar over the top, then top with strawberries.
- Serve with maple syrup.