Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Have not made this yet, but I intend to for the holidays. Bread is cubed and combined with the normal ingredients for French toast and baked in a loaf pan. Cut into slices to serve and top with your favorite slightly warmed maple syrup. Would also be great topped with sweetened berries and a dusting of powdered sugar.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups bread cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 5x9" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the bread cubes and mix well.
- Stir in the bread cubes and allow to sit for 10 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Spoon into the loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the pan, slice and serve with your favorite topping.
- Note: I would make this with challah or any other more substantial bread instead of just plain sliced white bread.
I found this recipe on the Mr Food website, but it calls for just 1 cup of half and half. I will be making this between now and Easter and see how it goes. I'll start with 1 cup and see if more is needed.