Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Perfect for a weekend brunch, you can chill 2 hours or up to 24 hours! Use either French or Italian if possible day-old bread (for easier slicing) for this. You can increase the apples to 3 if desired, roughly half a loaf of bread should be enough for this recipe!
Top Review by Recipe Reader
This is a delicious breakfast. I chose this for my Christmas brunch menu and everyone loved it. It was easy to make the day before, and it took no effort in the morning. I followed the recipe exactly using the higher portions of ingredients. I did cut the slices into smaller pieces(not quite cubes) to fit into the shape of the pan and it was great.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half, 10% cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 French bread (use only half a loaf, cut into 1/2-inch slices, NOT cubes!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in apples and saute until just softened (about 3 minutes) remove from heat.
- Stir in the raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 cup sour cream.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs, half and half, maple syrup and remaining 1/2 cup sour cream.
- Layer HALF of the sliced bread in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Spread the apple/sour cream mixture over the bread slices, then top with remaining bread slices.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the bread.
- Cover and refrigerate from 2-24 hours.
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.