Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this in a Better Homes and Gardens Christmas cookbook.It is a very dense cake.It has become a holiday tradition at my house.
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemons, rind of
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- whipped cream (optional)
- in small mixing bowl,mix together honey,boiling water,and lemon peel,set aside.
- In large mixing bowl,stir together flour,sugar,baking powder,cinnamon,baking soda,salt and cloves.
- Add honey mixture to flour mixture,stirring til nearly smooth.
- Mix eggs and oil,add to batter and stir til combined.
- Pour into greased and floured 10 inch fluted pan.
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Wrap and store overnight.
- serve with whipped cream if desired.