Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a French potage. Original recipe from ''The Cook's Companion".
Make and share this French Smooth Chestnut Soup for Holidays recipe from Food.com.
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 1 kg chestnuts, peeled (yield will be half a kilo)
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 100 m creme fraiche
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon armagnac or 1 tablespoon amontillado sherry wine
- freshly ground young parsley
- On low heat, sweat the potato, celery, onion and garlic in butter in a heavy based pot for 5 minutes.
- Add the chestnuts, stock and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes until the nuts and vegetables are tender.
- Strain through a colander into a bowl and puree the solids in a food processor.
- Return the liquid to the solids while holding back about 1 cup in case the soup is too liquid for your taste.
- Strain back into the pot.
- Add the creme fraiche for extra tang and simmer the soup for 15 minutes to allow it to reduce slightly.
- Season to taste.
- Before serving, add the liquor to the hot soup.
- Garnish with choppsed parsley.
- The French would add a little shredded duck confit warmed in the alcohol into each bowl just right before serving.