Recipe by Christineyy!
Very easy, light, and delicious flavorful soup! I wanted french onion soup for dinner one night and this is the recipe my mom pulled out. Very simple!
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon or 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan-romano cheese mix, grated
- 4 slices French bread, 3/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, cut to make 8 slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in bottom of large pot. Add onions, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and stir until onions are lightly browned.
- Add water, bouillon, and pepper. Hold over low heat for 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- Butter bread very lightly and sprinkle one side with Parmesan and Romano cheese. Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Once done baking, remove bread from oven and set oven to broil.
- Place soup in 4 oven-proof soup bowls, place 1 slice of Swiss cheese directly on soup, top with one slice of bread, and another slice of cheese.
- Broil until cheese melts and serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.