Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A classic French appetizer for the cold nights!
- 500 g onions
- 6 cups veal stock
- 2 cups white wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups croutons
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the onions in rings. Heat th butter in pot and add the onion rings. Stir well until softened.
- Add the stock and the spices.Boil in low heat for 15 minutes.Then add the wine and boil for 10 minutes more.
- Serve in oneproof dishes and add the croutons and parmesan cheese.
- Grill for 10 minutes and serve at once!
This was a very nice French Onion soup. I really thought that the subtle taste of nutmeg was a great touch. Thanks katia. Made for Went to the Market Tag game.
Loved it! I used homemade stock and you can certainly taste the difference in the flavour, the nutmeg and cayenne were a very nice addition. I did feel that the white wine came though a little more than I wanted it to but that said, I also think it's important that the white wine stays in, because it gives depth to the overall flavour (it's just that I would prefer a little less of it). Personal preference is everything ! Please see my rating system: I am still looking for the French Onion soup that my Grandma used to make(recipe lost)... while this one is very nice indeed, this isn't it, so I will keep searching. This was though, an excellent lunch to sustain me while I do. Thanks!
A great onion soup! I made it with chicken broth;it was perfect.I usually put Swiss cheese on my onion soup the parmesan was even better.Wow!I made this fo Photo Tag.Thanks for posting. Rita