1/2 Photos of French Health Rolls
36 hrs 20 mins
Hearty enough to be different from their white flour, "intestine glue" counterparts but light enough to serve as the buns they are, these are packed with triticale flour and a 12-grain cereal mix and soak up sauce like a sponge!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup twelve grain hot cereal
- 1 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups whole wheat bread flour
- 1 cup triticale flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole flax seeds
- 1The night before baking, cover 12-grain cereal with hot water and let stand overnight.
- 2The morning of baking, lightly oil a 9 x13” pan.
- 3In a sturdy bowl, combine the sourdough starter (which should be vibrant and frothy), water, potato flakes, yeast, and sugar.
- 4Begin beating in the flour, adding ½ cup at a time until dough is manageable.
- 5Knead for 2 minutes. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- 6Drain the soaked grains and combine with the salt, melted butter, lemon juice and flax seeds.
- 7Knead in this mixture until well dispersed, then continue kneading 8-9 minutes until supple.
- 8Place dough in a bowl, cover and set in a warm place to double in size, about 2 hours.
- 9When dough has doubled, punch down and with lightly floured hands, form into 15 rolls.
- 10Place in the oiled pan and cover. Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 11Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 12Bake the pan of rolls for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Health Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.4
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 4.0 mg
- Sodium 481.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: