Recipe by KathyP53
I watched Ina Garten make a similar dish and had to try it myself. It's way beyond basic grilled cheese. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, scalded but not boiling
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 lb ham, sliced thin from the deli
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 16 slices rustic white bread, sliced with crust removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Melt butter over low heat in small saucepan. Whisk in flour until blended. Continue to stir and cook butter and flour for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add scalded milk, whisking continually, until mixture is smooth and thickened. Remove from heat, stir in salt, garlic salt, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese and all of Parmesan cheese until cheese is melted and set aside.
- Toast bread slices on large baking sheet on both sides under broiler until golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Brush each bread slice with Dijon mustard. Place sliced ham on half of bread slices and top each with 1/2 of remaining Swiss cheese and remaining 1/2 of bread slices. Spread reserved cheese sauce over tops of sandwiches, sprinkle with left over Swiss cheese.
- Bake sandwiches for 5 minutes. Place under broiler for additional 2-4 minutes, or until tops are browned and bubbly. Watch closely to avoid burning tops. Serve immediately.