Recipe by Derf
Top Review by Bev
Delightful chocolate cake! Moist and delicious, no need to change a thing! However, I did make the Chocolate Buttercream Icing to frost it and gave it to my family as a taste test. They decided to use a chocolate fudge frosting instead. The buttercream was not to liking, however, I loved it!
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup lightly-salted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- chocolate buttercream icing (recipe in 'zaar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place oven rack in centre of oven, heat to 350°F.
- Butter and flour bottoms of 2- 8 inch round cake pans, reserve.
- Beat eggs in large mixer bowl at high speed 1 minute.
- Continue beating, adding sugar very slowly, about 7 minutes.
- Melt chocolate with 3/4 cup butter.
- Drizzle warm chocolate mixture into egg mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Add sour cream and vanilla, beat at low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, the cocoa and baking soda.
- While beating at low speed, add dry ingredients, about 1/2 cup at a time, to chocolate mixture alternating with milk, about 1/3 cup at a time.
- Stop mixer as necessary to clean sides of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Beat until well blended.
- Pour half of batter into each reserved pan, place pans in oven diagonally on same rack.
- Bake until cake tester or wooden pick inserted in centre of each cake comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks until just warm, remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
- Prepare Chocolate Buttercream.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup buttercream for decorative piping.
- To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, spread top evenly with 3/4 of the firm buttercream.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place second cake layer on top of first layer.
- Frost sides, then top of cake completely with buttercream.
- Pipe reserved buttercream through pastry bag fitted with star tube in a decorative border around top of cake.
- Refrigerate cake until thoroughly chilled, serve cold.
- Cake must be stored in refrigerator.