Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Actually you could use any day old bread-day old being the key words. I like the airiness and texture of croutons prepared with French bread however. Specifically, what I mean by "bland" oil is any unflavored oil such as vegetable, corn, etc. Olive oil will work out fine though.
- 5 -6 cups day old French bread, not stale
- 1⁄4 cup bland oil, approximately (or olive oil)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free onion powder
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Make sure oven rack is in the middle or top position in oven so that croutons do not burn.
- Cut bread into 1/2" cubes. In a clean, dry plastic grocery bag place the bread cubes, oil, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning, if using.
- Tie bag in loose knot; shake bag to distribute ingredients well. Arrange the bread cubes singly on an aluminum baking sheet.
- Bake the cubes for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown. Turn the baking sheet and stir the bread cubes after 6 minutes so that they bake evenly.
- Once the croutons are browned, stir them one more time, turn off the oven but leave the baking sheet with croutons in the oven.
- Keep croutons in oven until they are at room temperature then transfer to airtight container.
- Other herb choices: lemon pepper, dillweed, Cavender's Greek seasoning, etc.
Easy method. Excellent texture. I increased oil and garlic and added half a finely chopped onion, 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, 1 t dried thyme, 1t dried oregano, 2t salt. I will probably increase herbs more next time.
Croutons no longer seem like such a hassle! Like this quick method a lot. I used a much heavier whole grain bread, just what I had on hand to use up - it worked out well, although I think I should have taken them out of the oven when the 12 minutes was up, they were a little dark....but that's due to my choice of bread. Thx Cookgirl! Had these in a romaine salad with my favourite dressing, Recipe #143126 and Recipe #318406 on the side.
I won't be throwing out bread anymore. I made it with extra virgin olive oil and it's delicious. Great as a snack and in soups. Thanks for sharing.