1/4 Photos of French Bistro Steak on Garlic Croutes and Potato Frites
This recipe originally called for sweet potato frites, but we are not fans of sweet potatoes, so alas the change. Make sure to time the cooking of the steak to when the potato frites will be done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices vienna bread
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces rib eye grilling steak (or 2 x 8 oz striploin grilling steak)
- 2 tablespoons green peppercorns, cracked (or 2 tbsp cracked black peppercorns)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced (or 1 green onion, finely diced)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1Potato Frites:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 3In bowl, toss potatoes with oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 4Arrange on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- 5Bake, turning once, for 40 minutes or until tender inside and crisp outside.
- 6While potatoes cook, start the Bistro Steak.
- 7Bistro Steak On Garlic Croutes:.
- 8Rub bread all over with cut side of garlic; brush with 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of the oil. Toast on baking sheet for 10 minutes or until golden.
- 9Meanwhile, trim off all but 1/8 inch (3 mm) fat from steak, if needed.
- 10Roll edges in peppercorns to coat.
- 11In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until medium-rare inside and browned. Transfer to plate; cover and keep warm.
- 12Add wine and stock to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits. Boil for about 1 minute or until reduced by half. Remove from heat.
- 13Stir in red pepper, shallot, butter and any juices accumulated on plate.
- 14Cut steaks in half; place on croûtes.
- 15Pour sauce over top.
- 16Serve with Potato Frites.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Bistro Steak on Garlic Croutes and Potato Frites
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.3
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 94.7 mg
- Sodium 814.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 49.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: