Prep 25 mins
Cook 18 mins
just in time for passover, i found this recipe in today's NY Times. these are more like cookies than the traditional macaroon mounds.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups blanched slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup potato starch
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats. Combine sugar and almonds in food processor fitted with metal blade. Process 3 minutes to grind into a fine powder. If mixture is sticking, scrape down sides of bowl. Add starch and process 1 minute more.
- In another bowl or a mixer, whip egg whites, salt and extract together at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Working in 3 additions, fold almond mixture into egg whites, turning over and over until incorporated. Batter will be sticky and thick. Set aside to rest 20 minutes.
- Spoon batter by tablespoons onto prepared pans; cookies will spread to about 3-inch rounds, so leave plenty of room. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are puffed, golden and shiny, 18 to 20 minutes. As soon as cookies come out of oven, remove paper (with cookies on it) from baking sheet. Let cookies cool completely before removing from paper; use a thin metal spatula or knife blade if cookies stick.