My husband who is a full blooded Armenian, swears that these have exact same flavor as the Armenian lahmajoun pizza bought at the Armenian shops in the area. This is a great compliment because I was trying to capture the same flavor. I haven't perfected their thin, soft dough yet, but instead I've given directions using store bought pizza dough. I am determined to perfect the "lahmajoun" dough at some point.
My Private Note
mini pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground lamb (or 1/2 lamb and 1/2 ground beef)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or olive oil)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 10 -12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon allspice (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (1 lb) bread dough, store bought packages
- 1Heat skillet over medium-high heat, add lamb or combination of lamb and beef to hot skillet. Cook to almost through, breaking up pieces.
- 2Place meat mixture into a sieve to drain fat.
- 3To same skillet that beef was cooked in, add oil. To hot skillet add the onions and bell peppers. Stir and cook until onion is translucent and bell peppers are almost browned. Add garlic and cook through until just gold and flavor has been imparted, being careful not to burn garlic. Add drained meat mixture and mix through.
- 4Stir in can of diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add cilantro, basil, mint and all remaining spices. Simmer until it is thickened but not too dry.
- 5Remove from heat, cool. To meld flavors, it is best to store in refrigerator overnight. I have also used it on the pizza's without the overnight refrigeration.
- 6Divide each 1 lb dough into 4 equal parts. Roll dough to a 6 - 8 " diameter pizza round. Place dough rounds on greased cookie sheets or stones. Dust with cornmeal or flour.
- 7Preheat the oven to 425-degrees-Farhrenheit.
- 8Distribute meat mixture evenly over dough, spreading to the edges.
- 9Bake for 15 -20 minutes or until cooked through.
- 10Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 11These are great with a sprinkling of lemon juice after they've been baked. In Armenia it is typical to top with salad (I like it with arugula) and folding the dough over to form a pocket. My husband's family also tops with sliced American or muenster cheese (after it is baked), folding the dough over taco-style.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for ForeverMama's Armenian Lahmajoun Pizza's
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.9
- Calories from Fat 189
- Total Fat 21.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 55.2 mg
- Sodium 284.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: