Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite summer potato recipes. It's so easy to make. I like to cook mine a little longer, so those potato and onion slices at the bottom of the packet are browned and buttery crispy. I like to cook these potatoes while grilling meat, so everything is done all at once without too much effort. Whenever I make this, we fight over who gets to scrape the bottom of the packet for the browned bits of potatoes and onions.
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Cut two sheets of aluminum foil to 20 inches in length and arrange them cross-wise on a flat surface.
- Place 2 tbs. butter in center of foil.
- Arrange potatoes, onion and garlic atop butter in center of foil. Sprinkle with seasonings and place remaining 2 tbs. butter on top.
- Bring ends of top layer of foil together and fold downward 3-4 times toward the potato mixture, leaving enough slack so that the mixture doesn't spill too much out the sides.
- Repeat with bottom layer of foil until tightly sealed.
- Place packet on top rack of grill and cook, covered, for 30-35 minutes. Do not turn.
- Remove packet from grill with oven mitts, being careful not to tear the bottom of the packet.
- Carefully open foil and serve directly from packet.
Super simple and great tasting. Was a great complement to a grilled steak. Thanks for sharing. Made for What's on the Menu tag.
This was yummy and easy! I didn't have garlic cloves so used some powder. Even my picky kids liked it. It went well with the steaks on the grill. I might try it next time with a little less butter and some salt only and then mash and add sour cream for a baked potatoe taste.
Simple and quick. I added a bit more garlic and a juice from half a lemon. Will make again. Thank you!