Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful Greek style bread. I use red onions but you could use white.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour, divided
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 7.08 g package fast rising yeast
- 3.69 ml salt
- 236.59 ml warm water (130F degrees)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 7.39 ml honey
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 14.79 ml olive oil, divided
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced onion
- 118.29 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 44.37 ml fresh rosemary, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt.
- Stir in water, olive oil, honey and garlic.
- Stir in enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoon oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 11 by 7 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat or roll dough to fit pan; Brush with remaining teaspoon of oil.
- Spread onions evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with cheese and rosemary.
- Cover lightly with kitchen towel and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
So good and easy to make. I made the dough in my bread machine and put the ingredients in a little differently to accommodate the machine. First in all the liquid ingredients and then the dry with the yeast last. After the dough was done, I patted it out on a greased cookie sheet and baked it free-form. By the time my oven was preheated, the focaccia was ready to bake. Made for Best of Tag.
This bread is AMAZING! And so easy to throw together. I just loved the look of it to and will be serving for company at some point later, for sure. My dough only took 2 cups of all purpose flour, so make sure you add a little at a time. I used regular white onion, reduced the oil by half in the dough and did not need to brush the top of the dough with olive oil as the onion mix had enough in it. I used crumbled up dry rosemary. My stand mixer did the kneading for me and I free formed the dough on a baking sheet. Made for 1-2-3 Tag.
This is the cutest, sexiest little focaccia I've ever made! I made as directed. It rose perfectly and my guests nearly passed out from anticipation since I made them wait 'til dinner to serve! It is delicious! Thanks, Mary! Made for Photo Tag.