Recipe by mary winecoff
This is a wonderful Greek style bread. I use red onions but you could use white.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
So good and easy to make. I made the dough in my bread machine and put the ingredients in a little differently to accommodate the machine. First in all the liquid ingredients and then the dry with the yeast last. After the dough was done, I patted it out on a greased cookie sheet and baked it free-form. By the time my oven was preheated, the focaccia was ready to bake. Made for Best of Tag.
- 591.47 ml all-purpose flour, divided
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 7.08 g package fast rising yeast
- 3.69 ml salt
- 236.59 ml warm water (130F degrees)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 7.39 ml honey
- 4 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 14.79 ml olive oil, divided
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced onion
- 118.29 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 44.37 ml fresh rosemary, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt.
- Stir in water, olive oil, honey and garlic.
- Stir in enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoon oil in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 11 by 7 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pat or roll dough to fit pan; Brush with remaining teaspoon of oil.
- Spread onions evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with cheese and rosemary.
- Cover lightly with kitchen towel and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.