Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Epicurious.com I love that this recipe has so few ingredients. Gluten-free, grain-free doesn't have to mean complicated and full of impossible to find ingredients. Although, I did use both my Kitchen-Aid and my Thermomix - so maybe just a teensy bit complicated…
- 100 g almond meal, 1 1/3 cups almonds ground fine
- 90 g sugar, 6 tablespoons
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF, 190ºC.
- Grease and line an 8", 20cm, springform pan.
- If you want to get all the kitchen machinery involved - as I do - place the egg whites and 30 g, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, into the Kitchen-Aid bowl. Using the whisk attachment whip them until they form stiff peaks, but do not look dry.
- If you are making your own almond meal, place the almonds in the Thermomix bowl with the remaining sugar and blitz 10 seconds/speed 10. If they don't look ground enough, keep going until you have a fine powder, but not so long that you end up with a paste.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon zest, cinnamon and salt. Mix 15 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides. Add the lemon juice a little at a time until the batter has a nice smooth consistency - but not so much that it gets watery.
- Gently fold the almond mixture into the egg whites. Be very careful to maintain the light airiness of the beaten whites.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a serving platter.