Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this online... I have seen other flourless cakes before, but not in dark chocolate! Time listed does not include time to cool.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 8 ounces dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped (53% cacao)
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) container prune baby food
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa (or dark baking cocoa)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in baby food and chocolate mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining (1/4 cup) sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- Sprinkle with cocoa and confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.