Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the book, Heart of the Palms. Preparation time includes all chilling time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups crumbled coconut cookies (like Mother's brand Macaroons)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust:.
- Combine all crust ingredients and press crumb mixture firmly onto bottom and sides of a 9" pie plate.
- Bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes.
- For Filling:.
- Combine gelatin with 1/4 c of the sugar and the salt in a saucepan.
- Beat together egg yolks and water and add to gelatin.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and add frozen juice, stirring to dissolve.
- Chill until mixture mounds.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and add remaining 1/4 c sugar, beating to form peaks.
- Fold into gelatin mixture.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into pie crust and refrigerate.