Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A terrific way to take advantage of summer's produce and a little like gazpacho on a plate. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 pilot cracker (hardtack)
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon A.1. Original Sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (Coleman's preferred)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Drain thinly sliced vegetables.
- Soak cracker in cold water for 3 minutes and squeeze dry.
- Place a layer of vegetable mixture in bowl and sprinkle with chopped onion and cracker.
- Mix sour cream with the remaining ingredients; spread lightly over this layer.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- When ready to serve, spoon onto lettuce leaves or mesclun.