Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Someone was once kind enough to send me the proper spices for this beef stew along with this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 kg lean beef steaks, fat removed and cubed
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 large onions, diced
- 3 teaspoons stoofvlees seasoning
- 2 (330 ml) bottles dark beer
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour a little oil in the bottom of a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and add the butter.
- When melted, add half of the meat, pepper and a third of the seasoning mix. Brown well and remove from the pot.
- Repeat with the rest of the beef.
- When browned, add in the first batch of meat and the onions.
- When the onions have wilted, add the bay leaves, mustard and remaining seasoning. Mix well.
- When this has cooked for about 5 minutes, add in the beer and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for about 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Add more liquid as needed.
- Before serving, bring back to the boil and if desired, thicken with flour.
- Serve with french fries.