Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Modified from ground flax seed package.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup flax seed meal
- 3⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 apples, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together flax seed, oat bran, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in carrots, apples, raisins, and nuts.
- Combine milk, eggs, vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry.
- Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
I've made these flax muffins for several years (off the Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal), but I was always hesitant to add less sugar. Even with less sugar, these muffins are great! My husband and our toddler love them!
Really a great recipe. I've made it several times now, thanks so much for submitting this healthy and tasty muffin recipe. I do a few variations such as use dates rather than raisins, no carrots, 1 cup of milk, sometimes add Hershey's cinnamon chips.
I just made these using half white, half wheat flour & walnuts...they are amazing!!! I even had to tell my 2 year old to quit eating them, she loves them too! Glad someone posted this recipe or I'd have had to!