Steel Cut Oats With Ground Flax Seed
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
My everyday recipe for oats that makes four days worth of breakfast! Not to sweet but an excellent preworkout fuel! Reheats perfectly in the microwave oven.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1⁄8 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- Combine water, fat free milk, brown sugar, and salt in sauce pan.
- Heat over medium it to the stage just before a boil, stirring regularly (5 to 7 minutes).
- Add oats stir, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Give it a stir every 5 minuets or so until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Slowly add the ground flax stirring constantly to avoid clumps.
- Let sit covered for 5 minutes, then serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Excellent! I heard a program on NPR about old fashioned foods that were actually more nutritious than what we eat today and had to try out steel cut oats. This recipe caught my eye because of the flax seed. My wife is a cancer survivor and we try to include lots of omega-3 in our diet as an inhibitor. Typical of most cooks, I did alter the recipe to reflect my families preferences. I added a bit more brown sugar, a generous amount of cinnamon and a some vanilla. My wife loved it and I actually found it tastier as a leftover than when it was newly cooked. I have an excellent rice pudding recipe and intend to see if I can kick the pudding up a big nutrition notch by adding these oats. Thanks for an excellent and easy new dish.2Reply