Recipe by s'kat
Make your colon a happy and healthy place. ;) Prep time includes rising time.
Top Review by fluffernutter
My neighbor moved away and left me a big bag of flax seed meal. Followed this recipe pretty closely -- I can't help substituting here and there, like wheat germ for the all-bran. I didn't make the sponge first, so my bread didn't rise especially high. Good grainy flavor. After a day, you can cut this bread into very thin slices -- I love that. Makes fantastic toast. Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons shreds wheat bran (i.e. All-bran)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons bread flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon flax seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Add yeast to warm water and proof for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add the all purpose flour to yeast and stir well.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Place 1/2 cup flax seed in a spice or coffee grinder, process until finely ground to measure 3/4 cup.
- Add the ground flax seed, whole-wheat flour, 2 tablespoons whole flax seed, and next 5 ingredients (2 tablespoons flax seed though salt) to the yeast mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms (dough will feel tacky).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining 3 tablespoons bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to hands.
- Shape dough into a 5-inch round loaf; place onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Brush loaf with egg white; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon flax seed.
- Make 3 diagonal cuts 1/4-inch-deep across top of loaf using a sharp knife.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- (Press two fingers into dough. If the indentation remains, the dough has risen enough).
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.