Basic Flaxseed Bread (Flax Seed Bread)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast (or active dry but see note in description)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients. Stir in the warm water, honey and olive oil until it forms soft dough. Turn out dough onto a floured surface, add more flour if dough is too sticky and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- On a floured surface cut dough in half. Roll dough to form a French bread like loaf. Place on a baking sheet lined with nonstick liner. Lightly flour the bottom of loaf and place on liner. Cover again with clean towel and let rise for about 30 minutes. I found this took much longer for me.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake loaves for 30 minutes or until sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
Join The Conversation
I had a few issues with this bread, but it still turned out very well. I made it with the honey to try the original recipe. It tastes too sweet for me, so I'll omit it next time. Another issue with the dough was how sticky it turned out. I blamed it on the honey and just floured the dough more. I also used the regular yeast and it turned out very well. Overall a great recipe! One accident I did do was I had baked the bread with a casserole I had in the oven at the same time at 350. I left both in for about 30 minutes, then when the casserole was done turned it up to the 375 for ten or fifteen minutes. Gave me a fabulous crust! Thank you for the recipe, for sure a keeper!