This soup is so flavorful the first bite made my husband moan. It is chocked full of veggies with every bite. My kids eat every last drop, and often ask for more. Each taste is full of flavor, no one would ever guess it is so healthy for you. It is a great way to use up those garden vegetables in the summer, or make a cold winter day cozy and delectable. For those who are more timid, just scale back on the spices. We eat it with crusty bread sliced with butter, and some freshly sliced mango on the side to add a hint of sweet to the meal. This soup is easy to prepare, and freezes well for quick dinners later. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4731.8 ml water
- 73.94 ml chicken bouillon
- 8-10 garlic cloves, minced well
- 2 Spanish onions, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced small
- 4 carrots, pared and sliced thick
- 3 medium zucchini, diced into large cubes
- 2 (850.48 g) can corn
- 425.24 g can kidney beans
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 354.88 ml quick-cooking barley (can use brown rice instead)
- 29.58-44.37 ml chili powder
- 29.58-44.37 ml cumin
- 4.92-14.78 ml cayenne (optional)
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro, chopped (save some cilantro leaves for garnish)
- reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream (garnish)
- 1In large Dutch oven, boil water, boullion, garlic and onion.
- 2Add zucchini and carrots, boiling until soft.
- 3Add corn, kidney beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil.
- 4Add chili powder and cumin to taste. Let boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add cilantro to soup and stir.
- 6Finally, add barley. Simmer soup for 15 minutes, or until barley is soft.
- 7Taste soup -- adjust seasonings as you wish -- adding more chili powder, cayenne, or cumin if you like it more spicy. Can add water if you desire less zing.
- 8Serve in soup bowls, adding fresh cilantro to the top, with shredded cheddar cheese, OR a dollop of sour cream in the center.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flavorful Mexican Chicken & Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 134.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 7.8 g