Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
From an old Southern Living Magazine.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3 slices white bread, torn
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkle sugar in a 9" cake round and place on stove top medium heat.
- Shake pan occasionally until sugar melts and turns a golden brown.
- Cool (it may crack slightly as it cools) Combine condensed milk and next 7 ingredients in an electric blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place pan in a larger pan and add hot water around it to the depth of 1".
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 55 minutes or until a knife comes out clean from the center.
- Remove cakepan from water and cool on a wire rack at least 30 minutes.
- Loosen edges with a spatula and invert flan onto a serving platter.
I haven't made this recipe, but I bought something similar from a local Central American cafe once. It was like a mix of cheesecake and custard, so if that sounds appealing to you, you should try this.