In 'Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 pieces peeled fresh ginger (1-inch length each)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 ounces rice stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2-1 small serrano peppers or 1/2-1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- lime wedge, for serving
- 1Season the chicken generously on all sides with salt and pepper and the five-spice powder.
- 2In a large heavy frying pan, heat the oil over med-high heat.
- 3Working in batches, add the chicken and sear, turning as needed, until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- 4Drain on paper towels, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- 5Add the onion to the pan and saute over med-high heat until golden, 6-7 minutes.
- 6Pour in 1 cup of the broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits on the pan bottom.
- 7Transfer the contents of the pan to the slow cooker.
- 8Stir in the remaining 4 1/2 cups broth, the ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, and vinegar.
- 9Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours; the chicken should be very tender.
- 10About 10 minutes before the soup is ready, place the noodles in a bowl with hot water to cover generously and rehydrate.
- 11Meanwhile, transfer the chicken to a plate and discard the ginger.
- 12Using 2 forks, shred the meat and return it to the soup.
- 13Drain the noodles and stir into the soup.
- 14Warm through for about 2 minutes on the high setting.
- 15Ladle the soup into bowls.
- 16Scatter with the basil, cilantro, bean sprouts, and pepper; serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Spice Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (472 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.4
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 141.8 mg
- Sodium 2433.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 39.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: