1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This dish tastes best when it's allowed to cool completely and later reheated. For a dramatic presentation - place a weight on the casserole and refrigerate overnight; the next day, cut cubes from the casserole and reheat by pan-frying or bake until golden brown (20 minutes).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 garlic cloves (1 cut in half and the rest minced)
- cooking spray
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 4 slices gingerroot (thin slices)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 8 ounces spinach, washed & trimmed
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 ounces ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 1/4 lbs potatoes, unpeeled & very thinly sliced (cut as thin as possible using a mandolin slicer)
- 2 2/3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cut 1 clove garlic in half and rub vigorously over the inside of a 12-inch square casserole dish.
- 3Spray the dish with cooking spray.
- 4In a saucepan, combine milk, ginger, onion, five-spice powder, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat (frequent stirring will help keep the pot from overflowing).
- 5Remove from heat as soon as the mixture comes to a boil, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- 6Strain and reserve liquid.
- 7In a wok or non-stick skillet, heat peanut oil over high heat for 30 seconds.
- 8Add spinach, minced garlic, and sesame oil; stir-fry until the spinach begins to soften and turn bright green (1-2 minutes).
- 9Transfer to a plate and allow to cool.
- 10Chop coarsely and set aside.
- 11Cover bottom of prepared casserole dish with half of the potato slices and top with half of the ham.
- 12Then add a half of the spinach (thin layer) and sprinkle half of the cheese on top; cover with half of the milk mixture.
- 13Repeat layers, ensuring that casserole is covered with liquid (add more milk if needed).
- 14Bake until a knife easily penetrates the casserole (45 minutes).
- 15Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes (the milk mixture will thicken as the casserole sits).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Five-Spice and Spinach Scalloped Potatoes With Ham
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.3
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 63.8 mg
- Sodium 1226.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: