Recipe by Olha
Layer of scallop mixture, with spinach shrimp, scallop and fish mixture, and layer of fish mixture and baked in a water bath. Cooled and served with Herb Mayonnaise.
- 1 lb sole or 1 lb any firm-textured white fish fillet, bones and skin removed
- 2⁄3 cup cream (divided)
- fresh ground pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1 lb scallops, cleaned
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 lb spinach
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 green onions, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped mixed herbs (parsley and basil)
- 4 tablespoons spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE TERRINE: Place the fish in the bowl of a blender or food processor and process until smooth and shiny.
- Add HALF the cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Process briefly and then transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Repeat the process with the scallops and the remaining cream and transfer the mixture to a second bowl.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Fold HALF the egg whites into the fish mixture and HALF into the scallop mixture.
- Wash and blanch the spinach leaves and drain well.
- Puree in a blender or food processor.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the scallop mixture and 2 Tablespoons of the fish mixture and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan and cook the shrimps until just colored and firm.
- Add the green onions and remove the pan from the heat.
- When the mixture is cool, add it and the parsley to the spinach mixture in the blender or food processor and process.
- Oil a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and spread the scallop mixture on the base.
- Cover with the spinach mixture and, lastly, the fish mixture.
- Cover with foil.
- Put the terrine in a baking dish partly filled with hot water and cook in a preheated 350 F.
- oven for 1 hour or until set.
- Cool and then chill overnight.
- Unmold onto a plate.
- Serve sliced with herb mayonnaise.
- FOR THE HERB MAYONNAISE: Place the egg yolks, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, mustard and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and process to mix ingredients.
- With the motor still running, add the oil slowly in a thin, steady stream.
- Add chopped herbs and spinach, taste for seasoning.
- Vogue Entertaining.