1/2 Photos of Fish Pie
1 hr 30 mins
Traditional British fare. This is a pretty simple take on fish pie, by Jamie Oliver, which doesn't involve any poaching of fish or making a bechamel sauce. You can use whatever fish you choose. If you like your fish pie to be creamier, feel free to add a few tablespoons of creme fraiche or heavy cream. This is great served with a fresh, green salad or steamed veggies. Make it yours!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/4 lbs potatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 celery ribs
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2 fresh red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, stems and leaves finely chopped
- 10 ounces salmon fillets, skin off and bones removed
- 10 ounces cod fish fillets or 10 ounces finnan haddie, skin off and bones removed
- 1/4 lb large shrimp, raw, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (or more, to your taste)
- 1Prep the fish pie:.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and bring a large pan of salted water to boil.
- 3Peel the potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch chunks.
- 4Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook for about 12 minutes, until soft. (stick a knife or fork into them to test).
- 5Meanwhile, grate the carrot, celery and cheddar cheese right into a large, deep baking dish. Add the zest of the lemon, chile and parsley.
- 6Cook and serve the fish pie:.
- 7Cut the salmon and cod, or finnan haddie, into bite-sized chunks and add to the pan with the shrimp.
- 8Squeeze the juice from the zested lemon (take out seeds) and drizzle with approximately 1 T. olive oil, use your judgement. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- 9*If you want to add spinach and/or tomatoes, do so now.
- 10Mix everything together well.
- 11By now the potoates should be cooked, so drain them in a colander and return them to the pan. Drizzle with some olive oil, aprrox. 2 T. using your judgement, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- 12Spread the mashed potoates evenly over the top of the fish and grated veggies.
- 13Put in your preheated oven and cook for about 40 minutes, or until cooked through, crispy and golden on the top.
- 14Serve it up!
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fish Pie
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.3
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 95.6 mg
- Sodium 375.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 31.9 g