Traditional British fare. This is a pretty simple take on fish pie, by Jamie Oliver, which doesn't involve any poaching of fish or making a bechamel sauce. You can use whatever fish you choose. If you like your fish pie to be creamier, feel free to add a few tablespoons of creme fraiche or heavy cream. This is great served with a fresh, green salad or steamed veggies. Make it yours!
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 2 celery ribs
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1⁄2 fresh red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, stems and leaves finely chopped
- 10 ounces salmon fillets, skin off and bones removed
- 10 ounces cod fish fillets or 10 ounces finnan haddie, skin off and bones removed
- 1⁄4 lb large shrimp, raw, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (or more, to your taste)
- fresh spinach, handful, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- Prep the fish pie:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and bring a large pan of salted water to boil.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch chunks.
- Once the water is boiling, add the potatoes and cook for about 12 minutes, until soft. (stick a knife or fork into them to test).
- Meanwhile, grate the carrot, celery and cheddar cheese right into a large, deep baking dish. Add the zest of the lemon, chile and parsley.
- Cook and serve the fish pie:.
- Cut the salmon and cod, or finnan haddie, into bite-sized chunks and add to the pan with the shrimp.
- Squeeze the juice from the zested lemon (take out seeds) and drizzle with approximately 1 T. olive oil, use your judgement. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- *If you want to add spinach and/or tomatoes, do so now.
- Mix everything together well.
- By now the potoates should be cooked, so drain them in a colander and return them to the pan. Drizzle with some olive oil, aprrox. 2 T. using your judgement, and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
- Spread the mashed potoates evenly over the top of the fish and grated veggies.
- Put in your preheated oven and cook for about 40 minutes, or until cooked through, crispy and golden on the top.
- Serve it up!