Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's a warm blend of steaming green gram lentils and fresh water fish. Always good for a filling Sunday lunch. Can be accompanied with British broth bread or hot rice.
- 1⁄2 kg fresh water fish head (appr. 2 large, Rohu or Catla)
- 100 g lentils (cooked)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (roasted and ground)
- 1 tablespoon coriander (finely chopped)
- 5 -8 green chilies (split in halves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cumin seed (roasted and roughly ground)
- tomatoes (2 large- cubed)
- onion (2 large-sliced)
- 200 ml water
- salt (to taste)
- vegetable oil (6 tbsp)
- Lightly fry fish heads in 2 tbsp oil and keep aside.
- Fry onions in the remaining oil til lightly golden. Add mustard seeds and cumin.
- Add cooked lentils into it.
- Add water, fenugreek, turmeric, cubed tomatoes and salt and bring to simmer.
- Add fish heads and boil for 5 minutes.
- Crush the head roughly using a heavy ladle while on fire.
- Garnish with coriander and take it off the fire to serve.
Wow what an iron rich recipe! Lentils, turmeric, fenugreek seeds and cumin and are great to build iron. I will change the fish head for sure, any suggestions?