Recipe by MarieRynr
An old family favorite that got its name from the cold and wintry nights we huddled around the fireplace with this delicious and tangy cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 X 2 inch springform pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the extracts to the milk and stir into the batter alternating with the flour mixture.
- Halve the orange and squeeze, reserving about 1/2 cup of the juice.
- In a food processor, grind the orange rind shells with the almonds, raisins and dates for about 45 seconds.
- Stir this into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until tests done.
- In a small saucepan, heat reserved orange juice, sugar and brandy until sugar dissolves.
- While cake is still hot, prick in several places with a toothpick and spoon the sauce all over it.
- After about 20 minutes, remove from springform pan and serve.