Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
Healthful, soothing, and oh so easy to make. The perfect bowl of comfort!
Make and share this Fire-Roasted Tomato and Bread Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 slices day-old Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded
- 25 plum tomatoes, halved, cored, and seeded
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup basil leaves
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, add the chicken broth and bread, and set aside for 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: Flatten the pepper half with the palm of your hand. Brush the pepper half, tomato halves, and onion slices with oil. Grill the vegetables over Direct High heat until lightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Remove from grill. When tomatoes and pepper are cool enough to handle, remove their skins. Rough chop all the grilled vegetables. Add the grilled vegetables and the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with crusty Italian bread or baguette.