Recipe by Sharon123
This recipe came from Monterey, California, courtesy of Bobby Flay and Food Nation. I spent a few years in this area and love artichokes! Here's a good recipe!
Top Review by Sauce Lover
didn't bother to make the aioli, this recipe is that good!! Doubled the ingredients, marinated the steamed artichokes for longer in the marinade,and didn't end up putting them on the bbq, put under the broiler instead. Very good flavor, very good texture, served with a garlic, lemon mayonaisse sauce. Xllnt!! I've found that the easiest way to steam these is to cut the artichokes into quarters ( if using jumbo artichokes) while they're still raw. Its not easy to do, you must use a very sharp knife, and then I put them cut side down in a round pyrex dish filled half ways with water and lemon juice, then cover tightly and cook in microwave oven for about 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool and then remove hairy part and purple leaves and then proceed with the recipe. I like to serve "Mom's Best Dipping Sauce" with this recipe. It is #322625.
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil (or cilantro)
- salt and pepper
- 2 extra-large artichokes, steamed and cut in half with the choke removed
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 -8 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- black pepper
- hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (or cilantro)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the garlic, scallion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil or cilantro, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Place the steamed artichokes in the mixture and marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make the aioli:.
- Combine the bread crumbs, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and egg yolks in a food processor. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil to make an emulsion. Add pepper and hot sauce, to taste. Add fresh basil or cilantro and pulse to combine.
- Preheat a grill.
- Remove the artichokes from the marinade and place on char-broiler or barbecue fire with the leaves of the artichoke up. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes depending on fire temperature.
- Remove from fire and garnish with herb aioli. Enjoy!