Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
From my mother's recipes. She loved to bake and we loved to eat it!
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105 -115 degreesF.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Sprinkle yeast on the warm water, let stand for a few minutes; stir to blend.
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, cardmon, eggs, and 2 cups of the flour; beat until smooth.
- Add 3 more cups of flour; beat until smooth.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Add enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough which can be handled.
- Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Turn out on a floured board;knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover with a damp towel.
- Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk - about 1 hour.
- Punch down.
- Cover and let rise again until almost doubled - about 1/2 hour.
- Turn out onto floured board and punch down again.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide into 3 equal parts to make 3 coffee cakes. Place coffee cakes on greased and floured cookie sheet to rise. IMPORTANT! after shaping breads, let rise about 20 minutes UNTIL PUFFY, NOT DOUBLED!
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.