Recipe by CoffeeMom
This comes from a northern european cookbook.
Top Review by Debbie R.
This is very similar to a Beer Soup in the cookbook entitled, "Best of Finnish Cooking." I just wanted to add that she specified brown sugar in her recipe. She said that it's important to use the least bitter dark beer available. Thanks for posting this.
- 3 1⁄2 cups dark beer
- 6 cups milk
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the beer and milk in seperate saucepans and heat.
- In a bowl combine the flour and water to make a smooth paste, then stir into milk.
- Add the ginger, sugar and salt to the beer.
- Remove the two pans from the stove and beat the hot milk mixture into the beer, a little at a time. The soup should be frothy.
- Serve at once in small bowls; top with croutons.