Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Have been rounding up some new ideas for casseroles. I make a lot of them, and crock pot dishes, in the fall and winter for my students. This was put together by pulling out ideas from several different recipes I found on various cooking websites. So although the recipe is mine, the inspiration was from others. Have made this recently and will tell you that this is quite mellow, so if you want to spice it up.....go for it!
- 4 baking potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tart apples, cubed
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (if you don't have fresh, leave out)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 lb chicken sausage (sliced to large bite size)
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- In a large pot, parboil potatoes and carrots while whole for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and cut into large cubes.
- In same pot, heat up oil along with garlic. When hot, add onions, dill, peppers, apples and mustard.
- Saute, stirring frequently, until all has softed but not mushy.
- Add cabbages and cook just until the cabbage is wilted.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients.(It should be fairly wet , and if not, add another 1/4 cup of broth. Remember that the veggies will continue to give off more liquid) Stir and simmer uncovered about ten minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Place into casserole dish, cover and bake 50-60 minutes.
- ** You can use any type os sausage you like.