1/2 Photos of Filet of Beef Au Poivre
There are many different recipes on this site but none as delicious as this one in "Barefoot in Paris" cookbook by Ina Garten, 2004. Inactive prep time 15 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 filet mignon, cut 1-1/4-inch thick
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coarsely fresh ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup shallot (3 to 4 shallots)
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1/2 cup good cognac or 1/2 cup brandy
- chopped parsley, garnish (optional)
- 1Plce the filets on a board and pat them dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and then press the black pepper evenly on both sides.
- 2Allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minute.
- 3Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine and the oil in large saute pan over med-high heat until it almost smokes. Place the steaks in pan and lower the heat to medium.
- 4Saute steaks for 4 minutes on one side and then 3 minutes on other side, for medium rare. Remove to a serving platter and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- 5Meanwhile, pour all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the saute pan; add the shallots and cook over med heat for 2 minutes. Add the beef broth and cook over high heat for 4-6 minutes, until reduced by half, scraping the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 6Add the Cognac and cook for 2 more minutes. Off the heat, swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 7Serve the steaks hot with the sauce poured on top; sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- 8These would be wonderful with a side of mushrooms, a baked potato, asparagus, freshly baked bread and a lovely wine!
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet of Beef Au Poivre
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.7
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.8 mg
- Sodium 134.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 1.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: