Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Make a great steak even better.
Make and share this Filet Mignon, Pan-Crisped Sweet Onions, and Honey-Mustard Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 (8 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup port wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 10 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 large sweet onions, very finely julienned
- Sauce: Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorn to the hot pan and sauté over medium-heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Deglaze pan with the wine and add the stock, mustard, and honey.
- Reduce liquid to about 2 1/2 cups, stirring constantly until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a finemesh sieve into a clean saucepan (discard the solids) and return to the heat. Whisk in the butter, a little at a time, and mix thoroughly.
- Keep the sauce warm over hot water in a double boiler.
- Onions: Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan (there should be enough to come at least 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan).
- Place flour on a plate and lightly dredge the onions in the flour.
- When the oil is hot, fry the onions for about 7 minutes over medium-high heat, turning constantly but gently, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, and keep warm.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill for 6 minutes per side for medium-rare or about 7 minutes per side for medium.
- Place a steak in the center of each warm serving plate and spoon the sauce around the meat.
- Place a handful of the onions on top of each filet and the rest on the side. Serve immediately.