Make a great steak even better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (8 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 cup white wine or 1 cup port wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup honey
- 10 tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1Sauce: Heat oil in a heavy saucepan. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and peppercorn to the hot pan and sauté over medium-heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Deglaze pan with the wine and add the stock, mustard, and honey.
- 2Reduce liquid to about 2 1/2 cups, stirring constantly until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- 3Strain through a finemesh sieve into a clean saucepan (discard the solids) and return to the heat. Whisk in the butter, a little at a time, and mix thoroughly.
- 4Keep the sauce warm over hot water in a double boiler.
- 5Onions: Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy saucepan (there should be enough to come at least 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the pan).
- 6Place flour on a plate and lightly dredge the onions in the flour.
- 7When the oil is hot, fry the onions for about 7 minutes over medium-high heat, turning constantly but gently, until golden brown.
- 8Drain on paper towels, and keep warm.
- 9Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Grill for 6 minutes per side for medium-rare or about 7 minutes per side for medium.
- 10Place a steak in the center of each warm serving plate and spoon the sauce around the meat.
- 11Place a handful of the onions on top of each filet and the rest on the side. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Filet Mignon, Pan-Crisped Sweet Onions, and Honey-Mustard Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (793 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2032.2
- Calories from Fat 1386
- Total Fat 154.0 g
- Saturated Fat 51.7 g
- Cholesterol 244.5 mg
- Sodium 1398.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 39.5 g
- Protein 56.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet mignon steaks