Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the book Healthy Mediterranean Cooking by Rena Salaman
- 8 -12 firm figs, fresh
- 150 ml marsala wine or 150 ml sweet muscat wine
- 2 oranges, juiced
- orange, zest sliced into thin julienne strips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons orange blossom water or 3 tablespoons rose water
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (optional)
- 8 mint leaves, young (optional)
- Combine orange juice, and wine into a stainless steel sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes to reduce.
- Mix in honey and zest and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Place figs in pan and gently roll them in the syrup over low heat to poach them for 2 minutes.
- You do not want to cook or soften them but remain intact.
- Remove from heat, add orange blossom water or rose water and let cool.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Serve slightly chilled, coating the figs with the syrup.
This fig dessert was just fantastic. The figs were very aromatic in the citrusy syrup. Served with a small dollop of greek yoghurt on the side.
Yum! These were memorable. DH loves fresh fruit desserts and said this is one of the best he's had. I have to agree. I used the orange blossom water. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.