Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
These burgers are a recipe that I put together when one son wanted burgers for dinner, and the other wanted burritos. Luckily it worked out that Mom saved the day and both my guys were happy!
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
What a great idea! I loved these - they really did satisfy the need for both burritos and burgers. I used some chopped jalapenos instead of mild chiles. I might even add some black olives to the refried bean mixture sometime. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies (chopped kind)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1⁄2 cup onion (minced super fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1 tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup taco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 large hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, mix together the refried beans, the 1/2 cup onions (minced super fine), the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Heat over a med-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground meat, the beaten egg, the taco seasoning, and the can of drained diced green chilies.
- Form into 4 equal patties.
- In a 12-inch skillet, cook burgers for about 8-10 minutes per side over med-high heat.
- Spread taco sauce on the bottom buns and sour cream on the top buns.
- Place a hamburger patty on each bottom bun.
- Spread some of the seasoned refried beans over each patty (about a 1/4 cup each burger).
- Top the refried beans on each burger with equal portions of the shredded cheddar.
- Place tomato slices on each burger.
- Place some of the shredded lettuce on each burger.
- Top with the top bun.