Recipe by QueenJellyBean
This is like a cheater tamale pie. My husband's grandpa used to call it "Pretty Good Goop" when he asked Grandma to make it! We have tried many variations of this recipe. I have listed some at the end.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup olive, sliced (1 - 2.25 oz can, drained)
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium high heat until beef is no longer pink. Drain.
- Stir in salsa, taco seasoning and water. Bring to boil.
- Reduce Heat and cook until thickened. 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in corn and olives.
- Spoon into an ungreased 8x8 baking dish.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to directions. Stir in cheese and green chiles.
- Spread corn muffin mixture over the meat mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cornbread is browned and center is done.
- Top with additional salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese or ? if desired.
- We have added pinto beans, kidney beans, red or green pepper- added the green chiles to the meat mixture instead of the cornbread mixture, added the corn to the cornbread -- it is very versatile. It freezes okay too.