Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The sauce makes this dish!
- 2 medium zucchini
- 4 carrots
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta (or tagliatelle)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- 2⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 2⁄3 cup romano cheese
- Make the cilantro sauce: Put the cilantro, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste into a food processor and work until smooth.
- Fold in the grated cheese.
- Cut the zucchini and carrots into wide ribbons (Use a vegetable peeler and shave off thin, wide ribbons).
- Cook the fettucine in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and carrots to the pan of fettucine and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the pasta and vegetables are just tender.
- Drain the fettucine and vegetables thoroughly and return to the saucepan.
- Add the cilantro sauce and toss over high heat to warm through completely.
- Taste for seasoning and serve.
- Note: The cilantro sauce can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Yes, the sauce makes this delicious dish. A kind of pesto, but the cilantro gives it the kick with its fresh and lemon flavors. I have blanched the very thin vegetable ribbons before I cooked the pasta and mixed them to the pasta after adding the sauce. They were 'al dente' and add a fresh moment to this great dish. Prepare the sauce in advance and you will have a fast and easy to make pasta recipe. Thanks for sharing.
i used basil in place of cilantro, makes a nice light meatless dish