Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I can't wait to try this! From one of my favorite standby cookbooks- Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin.
- 3⁄4 lb fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 lb asparagus, stalks peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook fettuccine until al dente in a large pot of boiling water.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and asparagus and saute, tossing constantly, 2 minutes.
- Pour in about 2 tablespoons of water and cover the pan.
- Cook until the asparagus are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the cream, milk, lemon rind, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the asparagus and bring to a boil.
- Drain the fettuccine and return to the pot.
- Pour on the asparagus sauce, toss, and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
This was a yummy recipe. I made a few changes myself. First one being I quadrupled the liquids because I make 1 1/2 lbs of pasta for 5 of us and wanted to be sure it wasn't dry. I used a whole bunch of asparagus (as it comes) and cut them into 2 inch pieces and added about 1 lb of shrimp to it. I also did not have a lemon but used 3/4 cup of REAL lemon juice, 1 tsp of salt, 3/4 tsp of pepper. I also doubled the water for the asparagus but all turned very yummy! I will be making this again!
This was really nice. Our only complaint was that it was a bit dry, but a little drizzle of olive oil made everything better. Next time I might add some lemon juice with the zest so that the lemon flavour is stronger. Thanks! Made for PAC SPring 2007.