Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Simply delicious! It MAY seem complicated but really, IT'S NOT! And believe me - I assure you it will be received so enthusiastically that you will definately want to make it again. The preparation time does not include the time it takes to make the dough, or for it to rise, or the time it takes to lightly toast and chop the almonds, and other fruit.
- For the dough, I use my recipe see recipe#20474.
- Beat together the softened butter, sugar, flour and almond extract.
- Fold in the nuts and fruit.
- Knead the dough LIGHTLY for about 1 minute.
- Roll out into a rectangle (about 10-12" x 30") on a well floured surface.
- Dot the filling evenly over the dough.
- Roll up tightly, beginning from the LONG edge.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll in half lengthwise, leaving the 2 pieces joined at the top/beginning.
- Twist the two loosely together- cut sides outer most.
- Bring the ends together (and pinch firmly), forming a ring.
- Place on a floured oven tray.
- Leave to rise in a warm, draught free place for about 1 hour (by then it should have doubled in size).
- Dab lightly with egg glaze and bake at 200C for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before drizzling with icing (made by mixing 1 cup sifted icing sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice until smooth).